GENDER APPROACH IN THE BUDGET PROCESS
The article is aimed at studying the nature and benefits of gender approach in the budget process. After all, today Ukraine is on the path of reforms and transformations, the progress of which is very tangible. One of the important directions is to reform the public financial management system. Reforming the public finance system based on the use of innovative tools is an important component - the foundation of sustainable development of Ukraine. The gender approach is the newest tool that takes into account a wide range of issues, the solution of which creates equal opportunities for all members of society and ensures a fair distribution of taxpayers' funds between women and men and / or their groups. The application of this tool involves the inclusion of gender aspects in budget-funded programs, which will make it possible to see how different measures of budget programs affect people depending on their gender, age, place of residence, and will measure the impact of these measures on reducing gender gaps. The research identified the advantages of applying a gender approach to the budget process, in particular: improving the quality of public services for the population, as it defines clear guidelines for a particular consumer; increasing economic growth and poverty reduction, as well as efficient use of budget funds. The article also proposes ways to ensure the sustainability of this tool in Ukraine: continue work on institutionalizing gender budgeting, spreading the process of applying this tool to all major managers of state and local budgets and increase the availability and quality of data broken down by article. Thus, the Government needs to continue the process of gender mainstreaming in the budget process, which will enable the state to properly perform social functions and ensure sustainable development of Ukraine, as well as accelerate integration processes and promote the implementation of best practices in achieving gender equality in national practice
2. Some issues of ensuring equal rights and opportunities for women and men: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 9.10.2020 №930. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/930-2020-%D0%BF#Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
3. Procedure for evaluating the effectiveness of budget programs by the main managers of state budget funds: Order of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine of May 19, 2020 № 223. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0646-20#Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
4. On Ensuring Equal Rights and Opportunities for Women and Men: Law of Ukraine of September 8, 2005. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2866-15.Accessed 10 May 2022.
5. On approval of the State Strategy for Regional Development for 2021-2027: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 5, 2020 № 695. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/695-2020-% D0% BF # Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
6. On approval of the Methodology for developing, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of regional development strategies and action plans for their implementation: Order of the Ministry of Regional Development of Ukraine dated 31.03.2016 № 79. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws / show / z0632-16 # Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
7. On approval of Methodological recommendations for the implementation and application of a gender-oriented approach in the budget process: Order of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine № 1 of 02.01.2019 The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0001201-19 / print. Accessed 10 May 2022.
8. Order of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine "On reviews of state budget expenditures" of October 23, 2019. № 446 The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1277-19#Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
9. On the performance indicators of the budget program, Order №1536 of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, dated December 10, 2010. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1353-10#n15. Accessed 10 May 2022.
10. On approval of the Strategy for reforming the public financial management system for 2017-2020: Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of February 8, 2017 № 142-r. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/142-2017-%D1%80#Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
11. On approval of the Strategy for reforming the public financial management system for 2022-2025 and the action plan for its implementation: Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of December 29, 2021 № 1805-r. The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1805-2021-%D1%80#Text. Accessed 10 May 2022.
12. Tsiupa, O., and D. Popova. “Application of gender budgeting in budget and tax policy.” Youth Tax Congress: collection of abstracts (Irpin, May 20, 2020). Irpin, University of the SFS of Ukraine, 2020, pp.671-675. Accessed 10 May 2022.
13. “Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action.” United Nations, 1995, www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/beijing/platform/. Accessed 10 May 2022.
14. “Gender Budgeting and Gender Equality Indices.” International Monetary Fund, www.imf.org/external/datamapper/datasets/GD. Accessed 10 May 2022.
15. PEFA Assessment of Gender Responsive Public Financial Management, 2021, www.pefa.org/node/4411 (Accessed 10 May 2022).
16. “Report of the Economic and Social Council for 1997.” United Nations, 1997, pp.27, www.un.org/documents/ga/docs/52/plenary/a52-3.htm. Accessed 10 May 2022.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial NoDerivs 4.0 Unported License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access)